Sunday 24th April 2022
On Sunday 24th April the Congregation of Paisley St George’s gathered to celebrate numerous anniversaries connected to former congregations of the church. We were joined by many invited guests including Provost of Renfrewshire, Lorraine Cameron and several local councillors.
The morning service was held in the Outreach Centre, formerly Glenburn Parish Church where we celebrated the 60th Anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone in 1961 opening of the Sanctuary in 1962. We also celebrated the bicentenary of George Street Church that opened in 1822 and closed in 1955 when the congregation was transported to Glenburn. We also celebrated the 202nd anniversary of St George’s (Low) opened in 1820 when the congregation moved from the original Laigh or Low Kirk to their new church on George Street.
Todays congregation of Paisley St George’s is made of numerous congregations resulting from many unions over the last 284 years from the establishment of the Laigh Kirk in 1738, The Middle Kirk in 1781, West Relief Kirk (Castlehead) in 1781, 5th Secession Church (George Street Church) in 1799, 4th Secession Church, The South Free Church (St Andrew’s) in 1850 to the later unions forming the New Laigh Kirk in 1985, Stow Brae Kirk in 2011.
The following videos on our YouTube channel show the service and then highlights and images from the Civic Hospitality in the afternoon.